Thursday, January 29, 2009

doing what you are told...

In class when I was asked if i was told to electrocute a stranger, would i? immediatly i circled "no". i thought ohh its not in my place to cause anybody else pain of course i would say no. but what i didnt think of is all of the times i have obeyed when i didnt want to. A simple example would be my parents making me come home by curfew when I really want to stay out! But there have been times when I have made huge mistakes because I have let other people's opinions and input take over my own. A lot of the time I let my friends influence my decisions. a lot of those times i regret my choice and wish i could have gone back and done what was right for me. i dont think listening to my friends opinions makes me a "follower" necessarily, i just think that there comes a point where it is just natural for me to listen to my friends, just like the person in the experiment follows the instructions of the authority figure. maybe i could aspire to set a goal to start following my instincts and seeing if im better off.. but i know a lot of the time my friends just want the best for me, and my decisions might not be the right ones.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty. I think it is true that we all are followers sometimes. I think it is a balance between following instincts and making conscious decisions. I don't think you need to do either one exclusively, instead I would think in terms of your values like "I will make healthy choices" or "I will make choices that are respectful of myself or my parents", etc...Then whether it is a choice or an instinct, if it fits into that value, follow it. You go girl...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr. Sal. I'm the type of person who is really independent and is strong on morals. When it comes to letting my friends influence my decisions, I'd say for the most part as of late I do not let them influence my decisions. Regardless of what they do or what they think, if I think something is so, then I will do what I believe in. It is very hard to live this way, especially when having the same group of friends since elementary school. But at some point in life one has to realize that he/she has to be strong and learn how to be the best he/she can be. I believe that despite the obstacles and at times mediocrity high school presents us, optimistically thinking, it does at the same time show you who is stronger than the rest. For those who come out of high school strong and only with a few bumps and bruises, in my opinion, those are the people who will go on in life (into the "real world") and be the most successful in the long run.

    ReplyDelete