Thursday, February 5, 2009

Little Things Make a Big Difference..

During a class discussion about the article on sociological mindfulness, we talked about how little things a person does can make a huge difference. It even came up that when you throw a rock into the ocean the ripple it makes in the water can turn into huge waves that wind up on the shores of Panama (or some other random place.) A lot of people in class thought that idea was ridiculous and way too extreme. But I really do believe that people too often think they can never make an impact, when they really can and should. People should realize that every little thing they do can change someones day, week, or even entire life. Freshman year my biology teacher had all of his students plant a tree in their backyards (pictured above). He said that one tree could make a huge difference in the world, and I completely agree. I believe people can make an impact, even by doing the smallest thing.

7 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that every little thing a person does impacts the people around them. The discussion today kind of annoyed me because I didn't believe that the people really realized what Schwalbe was trying to say. I don't think he meant that we should all be completely sociologically mindful, but if all of us were more mindful than we are today, it could make one huge change in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some people may be confused with this subject, because they cannot physically see the difference they may make in the long run. I completely agree with you by the way.
    Your plant for example, is a great way to show how one little thing makes a difference. the difference is that you can actually SEE it. with being socially mindful, they do not see it, so it plays a less important role in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you Carly. I don't think people are capable of making HUGE leaps. In anything you set your mind to that involves a big goal, it needs to be taken one step at a time. I like your idea of the tree, I'll have to start that also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i talked about the ripple today with my friends! great that you brought that up. i agree with the fact that one little thing can change someone's day or even better. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree is a great example. What a cool idea of that teacher. Do you have a before and after picture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeahh i have a couple on my computer

    ReplyDelete
  7. is the tree still in your back yard? if it is you can see thtat the little things make a difference because when you first planted the tree it was probably a little shrub and now being 3 years later it has probably grown into a big tree. you werent able to see the change at first, but in the long run you now can.

    ReplyDelete